Wednesday, March 2, 2011

And my journey in Viet 3 continues...

Chào các bạn! (Hello friends!)
Times flies.. 3 consecutive semesters down the road and I’m now a Vietnamese level 3 student!

I always have friends asking me:
“ Why you wanna take Viet! =/ “,
 “ Take Korean la! Or Jap! IN!”,  to..
“Huh… why you still continue taking Viet 3!!!!!!????????”

The reasons are really different.

Why did I take LAV1201 in the first place..

I remembered Cô Lê asking us this question during the first lesson. And my reply to her was: I wanted to take Bahasa, but the bidding point is too high.’
( and actually…bidding points for Korean was even WAYYYY higher, Jap is hard to score.. and the Thai(which serves its uses when I do shopping in Thailand) exam clashed with my core – of course I kept to myself all these otherwise it’s going to be too overboard! Haha)

True enough, I did not take this module because I have an interest in it, but because I have no other choices =p

Why then did I continue taking LAV2201..

Because I had fun in and out of classroom! Being a Sci student where tutorials usually = copying down answers fervently, the lessons I had during Vietnamese class were so so so refreshing to me. Lessons were more of chit-chat and laughing, mingling sessions. No doubt, speaking in a totally new language was daunting especially when I first started out, but it doesn’t matter when most of us are equally not eloquent , does it? =) And the test papers.. they are so primary-school-like! It’s a good time to refresh your olden days’ memories. =)

Of course, I enjoyed the cooking project, movie screening etc too..  You can see that the teachers really put in their best foot forward in engaging us in the Vietnamese culture^^

And why LAV 3201..

Because I want to continue having fun lessons! If Viet 1 is interesting, Viet 2 is even more. With a smaller class of 9 students in my Viet 2 class, there were more interactions between the students and teacher. Most of the time, we were either laughing at others’ or our own mistakes ; or making fun of pronunciations that meant something else in our non-Vietnamese languages which the teachers of course, don’t understand=p

Also, I learnt much more as compared to Viet 1, be it new vocabulary, pronunciation, writing blogs in total Vietnamese or cultures. Lessons were also less stressful in Viet 2 and there were times where we just hung around in class celebrating each other’s birthdays and chitchatting (with minimal teachings)!

And so with that, my journey in Viet 3 continues……

Oh..one thing I’ve noticed in all these modules: there is never a lesson in Viet classes where you won’t have a good laugh. =) 

                                                            Eng Pei Sze Fronia, Vietnamese 3 (Sem 2 AY 10/11)


No comments: